Saturday, July 9, 2011

Learning the Hard Way



I am still having a lot of trouble making this a clean “fitted” job.
And after talking to my buddy Jorge in Mobile, AL, he said I should be using West Marine. I take it he means epoxy rather than polyester resin. He said it will not set as fast and will give me a better long term join. So I have changed direction.

I went to Home Depot this morning and bought some light weight fiberglass cloth. I cut a 2 foot strip, 2 inches wide and with the polyester resin, applied a very clean join. I will continue to do that around the deck hull seam. It goes on easy and will hold the seam in place without any clamps.

Then I will sand the edges down to have room for a matt overlap. To make the turn around the join, I will fray the edge of the matt and epoxy that around the bend, first one direction (down) and then the other direction (up). I will get some epoxy and use that for the outer layer of matt. I think this might be overkill, but when it is finished, I defy any wave to shake it apart (unless I am in water that I shouldn’t be in anyway!) 




110 degrees here today. It’s very hard to get any chores done, let alone any work on the boat done mid day. Nobody walks anywhere here mid day………………….Oh Yes, we have dust storms here as well. If you can imagine the first snow with a soft thin blanket of white…….think brown dust instead of white snow! This is not from the movie “The Mummy”, this is real…………………I slept through it, didn’t hear a thing!