Monday, January 2, 2012

The Floor

Due to the split in the Starboard forward hull and the Deck/Hull join separation on the Port side, not to mention the normal splash from waves coming over the sides, water got under the floor at the mast step just under the front seat. This was let go for a good 30 years. I didn't like the mast keel stepped anyway so I pulled the mast foot and surrounding bracket/guide. What a mess! The entire boat floor was glassed over so I figured I would cut the glass to inspect the floor and just re-glass. I went to Home Depot to buy a small (3") saw blade to put in my drill like a grinder disc. I was told that tool doesn't exist and that it would be really unsafe to have a rotating open saw blade so it was illegal to even sell such a rig. It was suggested that what I needed was a "Multi Tool". The cutting tool is a back & forth vibrating tool (not rotating). So I bought the Ridgid brand "starter Kit" (the plug in not the battery model) that came with the power tool and the cutting head. It also has jig saw, drill, impact hammer, & ratchet attachments that can be bought. There is a life time warranty with registration. So, $130 later, I was headed home. It being the New Year's weekend, I had Friday afternoon, Saturday, Sunday & Monday off. The days are 75 plus degrees now so I got out to the boat on Saturday and started with the floor under the bow. Once I got the glass up, I found the the floor construction to be of unsealed 1/8" plywood over foam. This turned out to be the floor construction throughout the boat. There were two stringers, one each side of the cockpit. Both stringers ran from the aft bulkhead all the way under the forward bulkhead to the bow. These stringers were a strip of 3/8" plywood on top of foam. Both were completely rotted. So I ended up pulling the entire floor out except for the foam. The foam was fine as, although it was also wet, it doesn't rot so that part of the floor is still in tact and will be fine once it drys out. Under the mast step and under the main sheet block was a square of 3/8" plywood also unsealed and rotted. I pulled out the stringer on the port side. Still have to do the starboard side. Not sure how I am going to replace the floor but I know I don't want any wood in it so maybe "Sea Cast" for the stringers. I am also thinking of 3 layers of Glass. Well, since I still have the Starboard stringer to remove, I have time to think about it.