Sunday, March 4, 2012

Lido 14

 Perusing Craigslist for small sailboats under a few hundred $$$, I found what looked like a sail able boat that I could maybe get on the water while I was doing a more extensive restoration of my Chrysler LS-16. I found the following at our local Goodwill.




        This boat had a Lake Havasu Yacht Club decal on the back and had been donated to Goodwill.

So, Friday after work, I went to check it out in Central Phoenix after stopping by the ATM to get some cash.
The boat looked pretty good for an old boat (listed as a 1970). so I gave up my $$$, signed off on the Trailer title and hauled it home (only a couple miles). When I got it home I started picking through the lines, shrouds, mast, boom, etc so I could see just what I had. Not too bad really, all the hardware was in good shape. Even the lines were usable, just needing a good wash. The sails were also in fair condition. Certainly the boat would get me on the water on our local Tempe Town Lake for the spring & summer while I put some real effort in my LS-16. 


So, I started looking on the internet for history and info about the Lido-14. What I found was very interesting and a bit baffling. First of all, sail numbers are originally matched with the boat hull number. The sail number is 2051 (vintage 1965). Now I can see an old boat with a new sail but a newer boat with an old sail didn't make much sense. And the logo & numbers are stitched as history says they should be for the #.





And the Hull ID # on the Arizona Game and Fish registration (and amateur engraving on a 1" x 3" plate bolted to the inside of the Port side transom) had numbers in it of the AZ registered decal either side of the bow. Looked fishy to me. So I started looking for the Hull #. With paint stripper, I looked from the top of the transom inside all the way to the rear of the Keel Trunk. I also looked for the embedded # on the outside of the Transom, Port & Starboard. I have found nothing as yet. The boat also has the traveler listed as on the "Classic Lido 14". 


Another curious feature was the forward bulkhead, obviously added after manufacture. It was secure but with screws and calking rather than with something like West System epoxy resin as I would have done it. I take it that there was no forward structure when the boat was built. The bulkhead was put there to aid with recovering from a capsize. Photos of later Lido 14s have a fiberglass manufactured bulkhead with a small compartment in it.



The Boat was painted dark Blue over the factory glass. So I don't know what the real year of manufacture is yet but I am intending to sand the area where I stripped the paint. I have to do that anyway now to prepare for new paint.

I will also replace the bulkhead with another better placed and better structurally. I will likely fill the bow area with expandable foam as well but now, although I have no intention of racing this boat, I want to make all additions acceptable with racing rules because whatever I do will be difficult to undo for a future owner that may want a "Classic Lido 14" to race. 

I do think I will get this boat in the water in a few weeks. It is in very acceptable condition for my skills of restoration. Anyone that can assist in identifying this boat for Hull # or probable year of manufacture would be greatly appreciated.