Saturday, April 4, 2015

Another boat out, Another boat in !!!



I managed to sell my Lido 14 in September last year (2014). I had seller's remorse almost right away. But the guy I sold it to finished it off (mast & rigging, keel, tiller/rudder. etc.) In fact I was going to buy it back from him but he sold it to someone else the intended day of delivery.

So I decided to buy a small dinghy that was sail ready and needed little or no work. I bought a 14' homemade plywood cat rigged boat on a trailer for $500. When it was delivered (I still don't have a trailer hitch installed yet), I found it to be a real mess. The hull was constructed very well but the glass & paint job was absolutely terrible. The sail was a brand new (used only a few times) Hobie Kayak sail - $400. I intended to make a proper mast & sail so I sold the sail to a guy from Flagstaff for $200 that had come down to Phoenix to buy a second kayak for his wife. Then I built a rack on casters from my old dog kennel panels, flipped the hull upside down onto it and started to sand.

This endeavor lasted about a couple months and I just got tired of it. So, I found and bought another Lido 14 in Tempe, AZ. It is in pretty good shape and I think I can sail it for this spring & summer and perhaps start restoration next winter. The center board keel is missing and a dagger board keel is in it's place. That will work for now. 

I just sold the wooden boat & trailer for $100..................................













Lido 14